Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Updates

OK, I need to bring this up to date. A lot has happened in the last couple of weeks! We toured #18 with an agent and I fell totally in love. While I was inside drooling over the details, Mr. D.H. was outside poking his fingers into the wood. He reported that every place he poked, it went straight through...not a good sign. In addition, there are no city utilities, and no way to know what kind of shape the well and septic tank are in without paying for an inspection. And one thing I DON'T like is the wall and ceiling treatments, which appear to be pieces of plywood nailed up with trim pieces covering the joints, so I said they would have to go (see middle photo above). So Mr. D.H. said if we removed the interior walls and the exterior walls are rotten, what exactly are we left with? A pretty nice metal roof , some trim, and a floorplan...hmmm...To add to the negatives, the house is pretty isolated, making it a vandal/arsonist target waiting to happen. And probably uninsurable at that...not sounding good, is it? I pondered at length how we could possibly make this place work, and we considered going ahead and paying for an inspection just to be sure what the problems are, but they do seem almost insurmountable.

SO, as these things seem to happen, just as I was on the verge of admitting defeat - along came two more very interesting listings to take my mind off #18.

Edited to add: As I read back over this more than a year later I can see how a reader might wonder why we were concerned about utilities, vandals, etc. if we were buying it to be moved. At the time, we had considered using it as a weekend place for a while and starting work on the inside before we had it moved. We didn't have any land at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment