Thursday, January 19, 2012

INTRODUCTION

So this is my first foray into the blog world...I'll begin by telling a little a bit about myself and what I hope to create.

My husband and I have both worked for a large state university for more years than we care to admit, and are yearning more and more for that not-too-far-off blissful sounding state called "retirement." Part of the dream (maybe more on my part than his) is to buy some acreage in the country and restore an old house. About a year ago we decided it would be a fun weekend diversion to start driving around various parts of the state to "see what's available." That quickly led to an obsession on my part with real estate websites, and the discovery that everything sounds SO much better when described in a real estate ad than when viewed in person! So far we have viewed more than 15 properties (from the outside and real estate photos only; we are not yet to point of working with an agent), and I have come to the conclusion that my Dream House does not exist (or on my better days, that it's just not for sale yet and I have to keep looking...). Admittedly we are a bit picky; hopefully this will be our "forever" house, and we have certain criteria we hope to meet. One is location - not too far from our current city, but far enough to be "country" and preferably with a view; two is acreage - big enough to not be able to see the neighbors, but small enough to afford; and three is the house itself, which comes with a whole separate set of criteria. In order to be my dream house, it must be an OLD house, preferably early 1900s, and in a certain condition. Not falling down, but not already renovated; part of the dream is to renovate it ourselves. A one-story would be preferred, as we will obviously be aging. And of course there's the issue of price, which seems to vary greatly with area. What I've found so far is that all the great old houses seem to be in towns, and all the great acreages have no house or a newer house. So it seems we have a conundrum on our hands...how to have it all!

So come along and share my search, and maybe one day we'll drive up to "The One" and like little Susan in Miracle on 34th Street I'll yell "stop the car" and go running into what I know is Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment